CAIR 2017 CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The CAIR Board of Directors is pleased to announce the Call for Proposals for the 42nd conference to be held November 8-10 at the Hilton Concord Hotel in Concord, California. This year’s theme is “Plotting the Course: Showing the Way to Institutional Success”. We invite you to submit a proposal to one of the four program tracks:
- IR Practice and Decision Support: includes use of dashboards, data warehouses, data visualization, communication strategies, presentation skills, analytics, intersegmental studies, benchmarking, program evaluation, etc. to arrive at and share data insights as well as apply insights to drive decision-making and positive change.
- IR Methodology: includes topics about how institutional researchers do their work, such as data stewardship, statistical analyses, qualitative techniques, emergent/innovative methodologies and technologies, etc.
- Assessment, Accreditation, Planning, and Institutional Effectiveness: includes presentations on assessing student learning, program review, accreditation, strategic planning, etc.
- IR Management: includes topics such as getting a seat at the table, closing the loop, enrollment management, collaboration across departments, tracking data requests, effective use of software to produce reports, personnel and resource management, and other decision support management, etc.
There are four session types, each are 45 minutes in length:
- Concurrent Session – Presentation of information to attendees with audience interaction, when possible. Sessions may be led by one to three presenters. 5- 10 minutes should be reserved for questions and audience participation.
- Workshop – A hands-on experience for attendees.
- Roundtable Discussion – Lead a roundtable discussion on a proposed topic. All roundtable discussions will occur at the same time and attendees will have the opportunity to choose the table topic of their choice. The role of the lead will be to guide the discussion. Therefore, please plan to have some opening comments (about 2-3 minutes) on the topic and invite discussion by posing some relevant questions for the group to discuss. Discussant leads will serve as moderator during the group conversation. Each roundtable will have 8-10 attendees.
- Panel Session/Symposium – With 2-3 speakers and one moderator, the discussion will showcase varying perspectives on an IR or IE-related topic. Panels should plan for at least 30 minutes of discussion, and encourage active audience participation. Differing viewpoints may stem from bringing together speakers of diverse backgrounds (e.g., educational training, institutional experience, etc.) or opinions. Moderator will be provided by CAIR unless otherwise requested.
A projector, screen, and Wi-Fi will be provided. Presenters are required to register for the conference and provide a copy of their presentation to be posted on the CAIR website immediately after the conference.
Submitters of proposals are encouraged to look at prior year sessions http://www.cair.org/conferences/past-conferences/ for ideas and quality of conference presentations as well as consult the proposal evaluation rubric. A pdf copy of the CAIR 2017 Call for Proposals is also available.
Notes: The deadline for submissions is Tuesday, August 1st by 11:59 pm. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance by September 1st.
Should you have any questions about the proposal submission process, please contact Juan Ramirez, email@example.com, CAIR President.